Friday 5 October 2012

XB3001 - Theme Research

After hitting a mental dead-end, unable to attach myself to any theme's I came up with, I decided to page hop on Wikipedia. Eventually I found a subject I was unaware of The Siege of Sarajevo. I saw this image [below] and it struck a chord with me. I barely read past the first few lines of the article.


So going with The Siege of Sarajevo - which in my head was a battle in a modern city - I came up with a vague idea of a Cartoon tank sandbox game based in a city. Seeing as the events of the Siege are from before my memory I had no knowledge of the events that transpired. After being told this was wholly inappropriate for the subject matter I went back to properly research it. This quote sums everything up:
The siege of Sarajevo, as it came to be popularly known, was an episode of such notoriety in the conflict in the former Yugoslavia that one must go back to World War II to find a parallel in European history. Not since then had a professional army conducted a campaign of unrelenting violence against the inhabitants of a European city so as to reduce them to a state of medieval deprivation in which they were in constant fear of death. In the period covered in this Indictment, there was nowhere safe for a Sarajevan, not at home, at school, in a hospital, from deliberate attack.
Prosecution Opening Statement, ICTY vs Stanislav Galić, 2003


Obviously I need to think about how to tackle the atrocity, and to create something like Call of Duty would be pointless and unoriginal.I think I am going to backtrack to Waltz with Bashir which was one of my original theme ideas to see how Ari Folman tackled the 1982 Lebanon War and the Shabra and Shatila Massacre.